This repurposed window cabinet was a long time coming. Seems like that’s becoming a habit with me, huh? Just to refresh your memory . . .
(for more details of how it came along, see the post Repurposed Windows Display Cabinet)
I picked up two of these windows at my favorite Peddler’s Mall.
I worked on building a frame around the windows out of some scrap mdf. This was not an easy task. I had figures and formulas bouncing around in my head, trying to make sure that the opening I left would properly surround the two windows.
On facebook and twitter I talked about how much trouble I was having with finding hinges. I was lucky enough to stumble across these hinges in my hardware inventory. Here’s a little tip , use painter’s tape to hold your hinge while you drill pilot holes and screw the screws.
The doors are on! Finally! See that piece in the middle, between the doors? That is to keep the doors from “falling” inward.
I used a piece of bead board for the back.
Now, I need to add door handles and some kind of lock mechanism.
I used the original handles, then I had an aha moment! Check out how I installed the latches . . .
. . . I used the original window locks, attaching them at the top of the windows. (which of course are the original “sides” of the windows) Note the grooves. The little latch slides right down in the groove, and keeps the doors securely closed. The one on the left is unlocked, the one on the right is locked.
If you compare the the color of these windows to the original windows, you’ll see that I used some dark walnut stain to darken them. I am so over the honey colored woodwork.
This has been sitting in my living ever since I finished it. I have fallen in love with it, but alas I do not have room to keep it.
Check out my other window projects below: