Are you curious why I haven’t posted any projects lately? Besides three incredibly busy weekends, (Blissdom, my birthday, and Portland Oregon) I’ve done a lot of busy work in between.
I recently found out the the shop where I have my booth was closing. I went and got all my inventory and 5 sheets of pegboard. I had decided that I was going to try to sell using Craig’s List.
I spent 2 days cleaning out a garage, then one more day installing pegboard and displaying all of my stuff.
To hang the pegboard I installed 1×2’s on the wall. I raised the pegboard off the ground a foot or so by resting it on a couple of cardboard boxes.
Then I hung up all my stuff. This is just one wall of pegboard. For some reason I never took a picture of the entire space.
Fast forward a couple of weeks, and there has been a change of plans. It seems that the shop will have a grand re-opening at the end of the month. So, I spent another day taking down all the inventory and removing all the pegboard. I took the pegboard back to the shop, and now I’m waiting for the shop owners to get it all ready for me to bring my stuff back to a new and improved booth, and a better than ever shop. FYI the owner had major surgery and felt like she was not able to keep the shop open. With the help of family and friends, she has decided to forge onward.
I’ve told you that I’m going to be taking a journey getting my yard to resemble some sort of lawn. I have begun!
The big ole tree had been covered with ivy for more than 20 years. The husband of a reader/friend worked diligently removing the runners for about 20 ft up the trunk. Removing the bushes seemed to be the first step in starting this project.
The have become overgrown and woody. I’ve never been a fan of them. In recent years I have worked to remove 6, so these 4 should be a piece of cake, right?
I worked and dug, and dug some more to loosen up the root balls.
Since I’ve done this before, I know that there is no way to actually just “dig them out”. The last time I did this, I had a guy with a tow truck wench them out.
This time we resorted to a chain and a truck.
The guys are working hard, but remember, I had already done a lot of the work digging around the root balls.
The front gate was almost a casualty. It came off the hinges and we had to put it back on.
Now I need to work on that tree!
The ivy has really huge roots stuck to the tree.
I tried every tool I have to get this job done. But alas, it is still NOT done. Some of those roots from the ivy will not budge.
You know how it is, it has to look worse before it looks better. right?
Can you see that rosebush between the bush and the fence? It’s been there for over 35 years. I dug it up before the bushes were pulled out.
Not shown-I dug up a tree (well, me and the guys). It was a sapling that planted itself a couple of years ago. It really grew too big too fast. It was right beside the fence. So, like I said we dug it up, and I planted the rosebush in its place. I’m not sure if the tree will survive, but I planted it in the backyard to give me shade since I lost the shade when the tree fell on the house last year.
So, it has been like musical chairs. I’m hoping that Spring and Mother Nature will provide enough water to help everything settle in.
If I am able to move today, I plan to work on finishing up some loose ends on some projects. I may not be starting anything new until next week. I think I’m getting too old for all of this manual labor.
ps If you’d like to see an update on my yard, check out this DIY Picket Fence!!!