Plans from Ana at knockoffwood.blogspot.com
The pottery barn and Ana’s versions were too big for me. I only have a 37 inch tv, and it would be swallowed up by a 62 inch base. 🙂 I modified Ana’s plans to suit my needs. I kept the depth of this piece the same, but changed it’s width to 44 inches.
Ana’s plans and directions were great! If you’ve never been to her blog, you must check it out. You will be amazed at what she has to show you!
Because of the cold weather, I built this right in the middle of my living room floor. I had Home Depot make my cuts for me. This MDF is very heavy! Even if I could use my table saw in this weather, I would never be able to maneuver this heavy sheet of MDF. This is the bottom and the 2 divider pieces. I am very lucky to have clamps. (thanks sis) When you work alone, clamps are a necessity! I used a countersink bit and 2 inch drywall screws. I used two drills, one of which is a Black and Decker quick change. I had the countersink bit and the screwdriver bit on that drill, and a bit for pilot holes on another drill.
I use drywall mud for filling my holes.
Ana suggests using hardwood for the front facings, 1×2’s and 1×3’s. I always have extra 1×4’s (pine?) laying around. I ripped them on my table saw down to the size I needed for the front facing instead of using hardwood.
When you are building something for yourself, and you’re not all that picky, you can make design changes as you go. At least, that’s what I do. I had extra lauan left from my fireplace makeover. But, I didn’t have any that was 44 inches in length. I used 3 pieces of lauan on the back. If you click on the picture, you may be able to see the seams. However, they are NOT visible from the front. Since this piece will be up against the wall, I was not particular about this.
I sat it on the triangle pieces of scrap wood that I had leftover from mitering my 1×4’s for my fireplace makeover. This made it easier to paint. If I were to build another one of these, I would not cover the entire back with lauan. I would only go to the bottom piece. (leaving about 2-2 1/2 inches open) This base is very hard to carry/move. It is very heavy, and there is no way to grasp it for carrying. Had I not built it 3 feet from where it was going to live, I would not have been able to get it in the house.
I used Kilz. You know I’m a 2 coat Kilz girl, but this gallon was just about empty. So I made due with only 1 coat. For the back, I actually used my leftover ceiling paint. 🙂 I love, love, love using this small skinny roller for small projects! I used it for my fireplace makeover too. I don’t usually like to use large rollers because there seems to be so much wasted paint.
At this point, I decided I did want the doors! I had to pry off the front facings that I had nailed and glued on.
Here are the doors and the shelf in place. I decided that I only needed one shelf.
Voila! It’s done! Only thing left to do was drill a hole in the back for my cords. I used a hole saw to do that. I drilled from the back to the front, not a good idea when dealing with very thin lauan. Next time I will drill from front to back. (the wood splintered some)
The little bumps in the front corners (on the floor) are those furniture mover thingys. I knew I would be needing to move this around a little, and I didn’t want to scratch the floor.
Believe it or not, I was able to get everything I needed (that was in the old armoire) into my new storage area. You know how it is, the more storage space you have the more “stuff” you keep!
I still need to get a piece of base molding for the bottom front. I love this! My original plan was to add the side bases and shelving, sort of like built-ins. Guess what! I’m tired of my house/life being turned upside down. This project has taken me much longer than I thought it would. I’m not saying that I’m done, cause I’m sure I’m not. But, I like the way my living room looks a LOT better than I did on January 1.
I have only done one other project with MDF. I’m not a huge fan, but it worked well, and if you don’t plan to stain your piece, it’s the only way to go. Thanks Ana for helping us DIY our own furniture!
thanks for stopping by!