Hi, my name is gail. I DIY. I love to repurpose and renew/reuse old things.
Notice the stone mantel and hearth.
I used luan to do a dry fit to see how I was going to actually “box” the mantel in.
I glued/clamped and nailed the luan to a small spacer piece.
I added more small spacers so that I could glue and nail the end cap.
The mantel is now boxed in and the ugly stone and concrete pieces are no longer!
Close up of the crown molding. At the bottom you can see I added a piece of luan to complete the box.
Now I need to figure out how I’m going to do the facade.
It’s time to get some painting done. I put on two coats of Kilz and two coats of semi-gloss on the bricks.
Figuring out the trim.
Starting to “box” in the hearth, basically the same way I did the mantel.
Because the hearth jets out over the brick I had to make a “kick plate” for the bottom. (to keep the front in place.)
There was a vent that I didn’t want to lose, so I used my jigsaw to cut a hole.
Whenever I do a home improvement I like to leave a note for the next person who may do some work.
Hearth is built, now it’s time to paint that gynormous fire box. The blue painter’s tape is to know how far to paint on the front of the fireplace.
It’s a little plain at the moment, but wait there’s more!
Time for some trim.
and last but not least!
Before the quarter round.
After the quarter round and all the trim.
How it looks today, six months later.
Huge disclaimer here! I will never be using this fireplace to build any kind of fire. It was a working gas fireplace, but I capped off the gas line. There is too much luan on the hearth and mantel to take the chance of ever lighting a fire in that firebox. When this fireplace was designed, some men got their heads together and decided bigger is better. The firebox is too big to get a good “draw”. So now it has become a major focal point for my living room.
I hope you enjoyed taking another look at my very favorite project! I did it all by myself in the dead of winter. It still makes me smile every time I look at it. I achieved all this loveliness for less than $150.00!
Check back next week for my newest project—bedroom redo.