I’m not really pleased with this project I’m about to show you. I sort of rushed to get it done because of the weather. Maybe I’ll work on it some more next week to see if I can make it more presentable.
I used one of these windows I got from Jamie over the summer.
In order to start, I have to deal with this weather stripping.
It generally removes pretty easily with a pair of pliers.
I cut my 1×6’s to size and sanded them.
To secure my boards I used Gorilla Wood Glue and my nail gun.
The box is built pretty quickly. I test it to make sure the window fits.
Then the weather turned COLD again. I ended up bringing the project indoors to the basement shop. I haven’t used this shop in a long time. I didn’t build at all down there last winter due to my bum shoulder. Over the summer, I was able to work outdoors enough. Long story short, I should have taken this time to tidy up instead of working on this project.
When I build these cabinets, I like to fit the shelves to the panes. So, in order to do that, I have to lay the box onto the window.
I added the shelf boards, clamped the box, and shot some nails for a temporary hold until I could shoot some screws in.
I bought this cheap paneling a few months ago. You can see that it didn’t want to take the DIY chalk paint. It’s the first thing I’ve ever had resist the paint. I simply added some extra Plaster of Paris for a second coat. I painted the back and the box separately. After this happened, I’m glad I did.
I painted the shelving unit it with 2 coats of DIY chalk paint, and one coat of latex paint, and then attached the back.
Time to give the window a facelift. I had never used Minwax Gel Stain before, so I thought this was a good time to try it out. The color is Hickory. I gave the window a light sanding.
I first started applying it with a cheap foam brush, wiping it off after a few minutes.
I don’t have any pictures, but while using the stain, I was unable to get the gel stain in those little cracks where the brush is. I switched to a very old paint brush (not shown) to get the stain into those cracks. After letting it dry overnight, I used this old chip brush to apply the Minwax Express Clear in Low Gloss. If you’re never used it, it’s a polycrylic in a tube. It’s a water based product that is soap and water cleanup, and very easy to apply from this tube. Because it is a water based product, even this old brush cleaned up really easily when I was done.
I gave the inside of the window a fresh coat of paint, then scraped it off the window panes with a razor blade.
I want to show you the before and after. It’s hard to believe it’s the same window. I think I’m loving my new Minwax products.
I love this dark stain, don’t you?
In this picture you can see how the shelves line up with the window panes. This is how it looks today. I think it’s sort of a plain jane. She needs a little something. Maybe a hat (crown molding) and some shoes (feet?) I’ve made several of these before, in all shapes and sizes, and I thought I’d want this one to be a plain wall cabinet….
EDITED TO ADD this picture to show that it is in fact hinged.
I’m way too busy to dress her up this week. Today, a local magazine is sending a photographer to take some pictures for an upcoming article. Tomorrow, I’ll be dropping off some items at the Fan Fair.
Friday, I’ll probably be in a full out panic about speaking in public, and Saturday is the Fan Fair. Sunday is the Super Bowl, and Monday I start a big DIY project sanding hardwood floors. Hoping the weather cooperates so I can replace a storm door next week. Wow, I’m tired just thinking about all of that!
See more DIY Repurposed Window Ideas Here.
This is not a sponsored post, Minwax sent me the products to try, and I honestly love them and want to share that with you. All thoughts, opinions, ideas and projects are my own.