This is a great way to repurpose a bifolding door.
I have been doing these kinds of projects ever since I started my t2t stuff. I have had two of these doors for over a year in my “inventory”. It wasn’t until I saw this at the diy site that I knew what to do with them. In fact even after I saw their project, I had it on my “to do” list, but didn’t know I had the doors. A few weeks ago, while cleaning out my garage, I found two doors that I had gotten curb shopping and I had that aha moment! In this first picture, you can see that I spray painted it black. (some of the pictures are of the brown one I also made)
In this photo, you can see the back of the shutter slats. I put wood glue on the bottom, top and on random slats to hold the “backer board”.
I use any scrap piece of luan I can find, even old paneling. I paint one side of the board to match the front of the organizer.
This is my best friend! It is my battery operated nailer. Wood glue and these 18 gauge nails are all you need for this simple project. If you don’t have a nailer, brad nails will be fine. I cut the backer board to fit in between the side rails, and I cut the length so that it will fall below the slats and above the slats. This way I have a place to nail and glue it. I used a wooden tool box and the nailer to weight it down until the glue set up.
I measured the top part, isn’t it great that it was solid, and I didn’t have to remove any slats! For the memo part I used a ceiling tile that I got at our Habitat for Humanity Restore for ten cents.
I covered the ceiling tile with the fabric. I first tried to use a staple gun, but the staples didn’t seem to want to hold very well. I then used some awesome “found” tape. It’s sort of like giant electrical tape. It has that sort of stretchiness to it, although it looks more like duct tape. I then used liquid nails for paneling to attach the ceiling tile to the solid part of the shutter.
This is the brown one. It’s nice, but I really like the black one better.
Check out other door projects here: