I have a great tutorial for you today, showing you how to trace graphics in the Silhouette Studio. After you convert the image, cut it out of vinyl for a variety of uses.
I love using images from The Graphics Fairy. Did you see my printing on fabric post? I recently saw a project from my friend Katy, where she cut out a great image from The Graphics Fairy, so I wanted to give it a try.
How to trace an image in the Silhouette program:
- Download the image to your computer
- Upload the image into the Silhouette program
- Add the image to a new project
- Click the trace icon in the tool bar ((the small blue butterfly)
- Select the trace area (it will turn blue, with yellow outlines)
- Click trace, voila! your new image will be done.
- Move the black image to reveal the red (new) Silhouette image
- Delete the original (black) image from your project
- Save the new (red) image to your library for future use
Tip: When you have a lot of words/images, draw boxes around your items to make weeding the vinyl easier.
I cut my image out of Premium Vinyl.
Because this image was detailed, it took quite a while to weed all the bits and pieces. After weeding some of the small stuff, I removed all of the larger brown pieces, leaving just the items that I wanted to transfer.
After weeding, I applied transfer paper that allowed me to move the vinyl onto a cupboard door.
Tip: use a hem guide to align your image, it’s the easiest way to get it even on all sides.
This cupboard door was unfinished before I painted it with a nice neutral color.
I remove the transfer paper by laying it flat and pulling it, not by pulling it upwards.
You may notice that some of the little pieces in the flourishes didn’t transfer, I removed them from both sides so they would match. I Love the way the brown vinyl looks on this creamy colored paint.
I love The Graphics Fairy images, and knowing that they can be traced in the Silhouette Studio can lead to lots of possibilities! For now, this is a wall hanging. I could easily change it into a tray by adding some handles and little feet.
Silhouette is having a great sale, head on over to check it out and enter to win your very own Portrait through December 29, 2013.
Have you used the trace function? If you have any tips for us, please leave them below in a comment.