Do you remember those bi-fold doors I picked up recently at the ReStore?
Because the weather has been so cold, I took them to the basement shop to transform them into a bookcase. I started by removing the hinges and adding 1x4’s to the top and bottom of the doors.
I cut some shelves from plywood. Here I’m testing them out, trying to figure out the spacing using my clamps to hold the shelves in place.
Have you ever used this Wood Veneer Edge Banding ? This was my first time using it on the raw edge of the plywood.
Here are two boards, one with it and one without it.
After ironing on the edging with my iron, I used the Quad Trimmer to cut off the overlapping edge.
I added cleats to the inside of the doors to support the shelves.
To make the doors look a little less like doors, I added some front facings. You can also see that I added the top, and some trim.
You can see the bead board on the back, and some extra trim around the bottom.
This thing is so tall, that it barely fits in the basement because of the rafters and duct work. To make painting a little easier, I set it up on some sawhorses and gave it a couple of coats of primer.
I decided to paint the bead board gray.
It sat finished in the basement for over a week while I waited for help to get it outside.
Yesterday it was sunny and 75° so I was able to take some pictures.
I used some of my Blogger Staging Stash (prop closet items) to style it. Y’all know I’m clueless about these things. I feel like Jamie bought me a loaded gun….buying me the stuff without telling me how to use it. hahahaha
It took me weeks to finish this because I worked on it here and there, and painted many coats of primer and paint by hand. I’m so glad it’s done!
see more door projects below:[categorythumbnaillist 18]