I’m going to show you how to make a double chair bench, or maybe how NOT to make a double chair bench.
Do you ever have a repurposed furniture project fail? I do. I never really have a plan when I jump into a project. I always wing it. Most of the time that works out okay, sometimes not so much. This would be one of those projects.
I picked up these two chairs at Tickled Pink a few months ago.
*this post contains affiliate links*
It didn’t bother me that they were missing their seats.
I decided to make a double chair bench out of them. I was wishing I had a back and realized that I could use this sign that hadn’t sold yet.
I needed to dismantle the front rungs of the chairs. I used the Dremel Multi-Maxbecause it does a great “flush” cut.
I also had to use a hammer and a
small pry bar cat’s claw small pry bar
because the back of the chair had several nails in it.
These would be said nails.
I used some old scrap 1x’s for this project. Some were from a local lumber store that has been closed for about 30 years.
This is where things.go.wrong. (but I didn’t know it at the time)
I made a box for the top boards to rest upon. (note: the back is no longer attached with clamps)
You can see that I used my Kreg Jig® K4 to make pocket holes to assemble the box. I painted the bench and the slats separately.
I did so because I wanted to be able to get in between the slatted boards.
After all that, I put the headboard (sign) back on, and realize it’s about this much too short.
Major project fail! What I don’t like about this piece.
- It’s too long
- I have to figure out a new back, IF I decide to move forward
- I don’t like it black
I may paint it another color, I may or may not put a back on it. It may end up in a burn pile somewhere! (I don’t have one) I suppose I could put it at the curb to see if anyone wants to pick it up.
Want to hear something funny? This is not my first double bench project fail. I made another one several years ago. Aren’t we supposed to learn from our mistakes?
This is the original project fail-double chair bench.
You can probably tell I’ve never had a bench for the end of the bed. In my defense, this bench was NOT made for THIS bed. I made it for a queen/king sized bed. I’m not even sure why I took this picture of it at the end of Jamie’s bed. Good news is, this bench did sell at one of my yard sales. Ohhh, how I wish I had learned from my mistake.
When will I post another project?
To be honest, I haven’t been in the shop in three weeks. First, there was Blissdom, then my Birthday weekend, then I traveled to Portland Oregon. I am VERY anxious to get back to work. I’m sure you are anxious to see more projects.
So, please leave a comment below and tell me I am not the only one that has project failures! What was your biggest, or your last project failure?
UPDATE: I changed up this bench, for the better. I hope you love it as much as I do.
I purchase 3 new boards to create the back.
I clamped the boards onto the bench and drew a line, then used my jigsaw to curve the boards to match the curve of the original chairs.
I spray painted the double chair bench with my HomeRight Finish Max Fine Finish Sprayer, using a light turquoise.
I then gave it a black “wash’ with some watered down black paint.
I’m glad I didn’t give up on this project fail with repurposed chairs! I think this is a very versatile piece, and can be used in a lot of different ways.
If you love this project, but maybe you think it’s a little too difficult, here’s the easiest chair bench ever:
See how to make the easiest chair bench ever.