I have been wanting some diy barn doors in my kitchen for a long, long time. When I searched online for hardware, I found that it is way out of my price range. Then I saw The Accent Piece used hardware from Tractor Supply. I decided even though it was very expensive, it was worth a splurge. This post will explain how I built my doors. If you want to use an existing door as a barn door, read this.
When I decided to build my doors, I bought the hardware (more on that in another post). This is the bracket. I wasn’t sure if using 1x’s would make a thick enough door for the brackets. I laid out some boards to try to get a feel for what I wanted.
Because my doors were going to be narrow, I thought I would prefer two doors that resembled ONE door when closed. (this decision was made while talking on the phone with Rose) I was having a difficult time trying to find a place to work on them. This is in the bed of a pickup truck. After getting very frustrated and not being sure what I want, I put it away.
I googled and googled and I found these doors at I Am Momma Hear Me Roar. Yipppeeee!
Fast forward to a few day’s later…
I decided to work on a drop cloth in the carport. During the few days off, I did some ciphering and concluded that I could make them slightly wider than originally planned, therefore being less narrow. I played around with different configurations.
This is what I decided on. The door consists of (from left to right) 1×10, 1×4, 1×6, 1×10. The frame consists of 1×4 on each side, with 1×6 pieces going horizontally on the top, bottom and middle. I went with this configuration because I wanted them to appear “pieced” together, and I didn’t want to rip any of the boards. I used the wider boards on the left and the right to be more supportive of the frame. This is a dry fit.
More dry fit before I start attaching all the pieces.
I used my Gorilla Wood Glue to secure all the pieces. I clamped the boards in several spots all the way down the door to make sure they were pulled together.
After I applied the glue, I used my nail gun to hold the frame pieces temporarily.
Everything glued and nailed. (note the safety glasses by the nail gun. I always wear them when I’m sawing and nailing)
The cross pieces are 1×4’s. I angled the top board to fit across the top of the frame. To get the angle alongside the inside frame I laid a board on top of the frame and drew a line on the 1×4. I used my jigsaw to cut this angle. I did the same for the board on the right hand side.
I then turned the board over, drilled pilot holes and inserted screws for a permanent hold. The wood glue and the nail gun made it easy to do this.
After sanding, I painted the doors, with the paint that matches the walls in the kitchen. It’s Sweetened White (almost white), in a satin finish. I didn’t like the finish, so I used Mythic Paint (Bright White) in a Semi-gloss.
This is where the doors are going to be installed. It’s a wide doorway from the kitchen to another room that is hard to describe. It’s the last room in the house that needs a makeover, so you won’t be seeing any pictures right now. That is a sheet hanging up, because I don’t heat/cool that room.
Materials I used:
- (4) 1x10x8 (11.41 ea) 45.65
- (4) 1x6x8 (7.78 ea) 31.12
- (7) 1x4x8 (4.77 ea) 33.39
- Screws and nails (1 1/4”)
- Gorilla Wood Glue
Each door is 27 3/4 x 84”
The lumber for these doors cost about 115.00. yikes! I had some, and bought some, I didn’t know how much it totaled until now. I had the screws, nails, glue, and paint on hand.
See how I installed the doors in the post Tractor Supply Barn Door Hardware (how to)