It only took a year to make this porch swing pergola (arbor). Not a year to make it, but a year to finally get around to making it happen. Ever since we did the DIY picket fence, I’ve wanted to change out the old porch swing roof with a new pergola that matches the front gate arbor.
A tree fell on the roof years ago and damaged it. The frame will probably last for years and years.
I didn’t do much of this DIY, Rodney (my neighbor) dismantled the old pieces and did all the cutting and sanding of the boards while I was busy cleaning out the gutters on my home.
After he dismantled everything I got busy priming the existing brown base.
Rodney used the same pattern as he did for the arbor. He cut the ends and notches with a jigsaw. He chiseled out the notches, then cleaned them up.
We did a dry fit on the driveway and I was SHOCKED to see how large it was!
I primed and painted all of the pergola pieces. oops! I see a run in the paint.
After a few rainy days, it was time to put everything together. Rodney used 2x2’s on the metal support pieces on each end, securing them with wood screws.
It was so easy to put all the pieces in place after that, it was like a large jigsaw puzzle. You can see the front gate arbor in the lower portion of this photo.
The brown 2x2’s are the original frame, we used those to brace the tree limbs (dogwood tree) and hold them out of the way because I didn’t want to trim any of the branches. Rodney is in the background making one more support piece that will run atop the cross support because the 2x6’s could use a little more support. Rodney was the brains behind this, but I’m wondering (looking back at these pictures) why we (HE) didn’t rest the 2x6 on the metal brace. I’m sure he has a reason.
This is right after it was finished. Still to do—paint and freshen up the swing, clean the patio area, possibly hang 1 or 2 of the MANY wind chimes on the pergola. I love, love, love how the branches rest on top of the pergola now. I may or may not decide to put some sort of cover—I haven’t decided yet.
stay tuned. . . .
You could use fibreglass panels to cover. Lightweight and waterproof.
Aw....Gail, that looks great. So much shade will come with that and it will make a great place to sit and swing.
I have already enjoyed it, and Lulu Mae seemed to like me holding her while we swing.
That is going to be nice to have because it matches your fence and pergola and ties it all together. It's hard to tell what's keeping the roof up though... it looks like it's balancing there!
I was a little nervous that the original unit wouldn't support the weight. There are braces that go from the middle of the right and left sides, up to the back right and left. 🙂
I'm really thinking about covering it somehow. It's part of Lulu Mae's path to potty when it's raining. hehehehe She does not approve of the new configuration.
Looks like it's going to be a lovely place to sit and swing. Perfect for a summer day, with all that shade.