This project was featured at Design Sponge!
I have been wanting to make one of these cabinets out of a window for a long, long time. I finally got to it a few weeks ago.
When I got these windows, they were a little too new looking to suit me. I decided to store them outside so that they would get weathered.
This is the window I chose for this project.
I used pine boards to make a box for my cabinet. I use a lot of reclaimed lumber, but in this case I used new lumber. You can see that I have it clamped. I used wood glue and my nailer.
I added 2 shelves. Look closely and you can see that I use a triangle/square thingy to make sure my shelves are squared. I’m sorry, but I don’t know the correct term for this tool. If you need to know what it’s called, please feel free to google it. I glued, nailed and clamped the shelves.
I added a piece of bead board to the back. Again, I glued and nailed this in place around all the edges. I put my clamp across showing the placement of the shelves. I drew a line with my carpenter’s pencil to show where I should place my nails to secure the shelves.
If you are a regular reader of my blog, you may remember these shelves I picked up at yard sales a couple of weeks ago. I promised you that I would show you how I use these shelves. Well, here ya go!
I had a large black shelf that I tested out. I decided it would be wasteful to use this one.
So, I decided to go with this smaller shelf. Can you see how I intend to use it? As trim for the top of my cabinet. I use it as faux crown molding!
It was too long, so I cut it down. But! The tricky part is, you can’t cut the ends off. You have to cut it in the middle.
OOPS! I had it laying the wrong way when I measured it, so it ended up being too short, so I had to add a piece in the center. Can you see now why you can’t cut off the ends? Those 2 pieces laying separate are part of the shelf that I cut out of the middle… they have a special job to do too.
They become the sides of my top piece. To firm everything up (because of all the chopped up cuts) I added a piece of luan.
This is the cabinet taking shape. The piece of luan is glued and nailed to the top of the cabinet. I actually had the window on with the original outside of the window facing out. I even had the hinges on it. But, I changed my mind and decided to flip the window over.
This picture shows the window before I switched it.
So I puttied the holes from the hinges, and trimmed the side some to make if fit properly. (at this point, I had the glass out of the window, so I trimmed the window on my table saw) I had decided to take the glass out, to make it easier to paint. I would not have used the table saw on this window with the glass attached. Here you can see that the right side is now more narrow (after I used the table saw)
I used spackling to cover up my oops on the trim.
This picture shows that I painted it Heirloom white with a very pale blue on the bead board. I only had a medium blue, but I tinted it with the heirloom white to lighten it.
Ta Da! It’s done! I used the original window hardware to make a latch.