I recently purchased a huge load of weathered fencing for My Repurposed Life Etsy shop. Some of the boards are too rough for painting words on them.
I’ve been looking for a way to use the boards that are not sign worthy.
I decided to make some easy rustic trays. I cut three long boards about 16”, with two cross boards as long as needed to fit across three fence boards. To hold the trays together, I used some Gorilla Glue wood glue and my nail gun.
I drilled some holes for handles….and voila! Easy rustic trays.
There are 5 different versions in the collage below:
- Flat black farmhouse handles with cross boards on the back
- Original handles with cross boards on the front
- Handles lightly spray painted black with cross boards on the front
- Original farmhouse handles with cross boards on the back
- Glossy black handles with cross boards on the front
a couple of close-ups:
I think I like these flat black handles the best. Do you have a preference? Do you like these handles better than the others? What about paint sheen? As for cross boards on the front or back, it doesn’t really matter to me. What do you think?
I have plans for another small/easy project in mind using some of the surplus boards. Keep in mind being only ⅜” thick, they are not as thick as regular fence boards. What would you make with them? Would you paint or stain them? Do tell! I’m all ears! I have a LOT of surplus.