It’s already time for our Thrift Store Décor Project! It sort of snuck up on me this month, so I challenged myself to get this floor lamp solar light feature done!
I bought this floor lamp last year at Vendors Village in Clarksville Indiana on a shopping spree. It was $10.
I looked and looked for the perfect chandelier, but couldn’t find one. Then this little beauty fell into my lap. My neighbor Rodney was getting rid of it and asked me if I wanted it. It would be perfect for my floor lamp solar light feature!
After I checked to see if it would work with the thrift store floor lamp I got busy gutting it—taking all the wiring out of the chandelier. It’s fairly easy using some needle nosed pliers to snip the wires and pull them out of the arms of the chandelier.
To see how the floor lamp solar light was really going to look, I needed to paint the two items to match. I used Krylon Metallic Spray Paint. If you look closely at the chandelier, it may look a little different. I removed the bottom portion and used some of it and part of the top of the floor lamp to change up the top a little. It was a lot of trial and error to get the pieces to match up.
See how the chandelier will rest right on top of the old floor lamp? All of that took place LAST March! Then it sat in the garage until this past weekend.
I purchased these solar lights at the Dollar General Store for $3 each. They won’t work “as is” so I have to retro-fit them slightly. I removed the collar of the light and then put the light back together with existing screw and fitting.
Funny side note: Looking at this picture it’s obvious that these lights are 2 different styles. All the time I worked on these I never noticed it until I took the final pictures in front of the tree.
I needed some nuts to attach to the solar light fitting. To make it all work, I had to snap off the prongs of the original chandelier parts. Using pliers I just bent it back and forth until it broke off.
I used Gorilla Glue Construction Adhesive to attach the broken nuts to the black fitting on the solar light. I simply squirted it in a plastic tray and dipped the plastic fitting into it and placed the nut on it.
The housing of the solar lights were metallic, but they didn’t match the chandelier very well, so I taped up the top of the solar lights and used the same metallic spray paint to make them match. I think the floor lamp solar light feature is going to come together!!
The nuts I tried to secure with the Gorilla Glue Construction Adhesive didn’t hold to the plastic when I attempted to thread them onto the stems.
For now I removed the nuts and simply rested the plastic fitting over the threads of the chandelier. (in this photo the nut is threaded, I removed it)
I tried out some flameless candles in the candle cups of the chandelier. That’s the beauty of a project like this, it’s very versatile! I could even have removed the reflective lower portion in the glass globe, and put the flameless candles in there. So many options!
Floor Lamp Solar Light Feature
This floor lamp solar light feature was a fun project and if you’re making it for yourself, it’s fairly inexpensive. If I were to sell it, I’d have to ask $25 just to get my money back ($10 for lamp, $15 for Solar Lights). But all in all for a new lawn or garden feature, it’s a good deal!
Be sure to stop by and see what my Thrift Store Décor Friends have been up to this month . . .
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia Painted Succulent Planter
Domestically Speaking Spring Thrift Store Basket
Refresh Restyle Galvanized Cake Stand
My Repurposed Life Floor Lamp Solar Chandelier
Petticoat Junktion Sisal Rope Planter
See ya next month for another great Thrift Store Project!
sharing at Creativity Unleashed
Here's another great chandelier project for you.