The fan in my kitchen was not ugly like the fans I painted in my bedroom. However it didn’t match and it wasn’t going to match AFTER I painted the cabinets. This fan was more difficult to paint than my bedroom ceiling fans. For one thing it is much heavier. For another thing, it is built differently and I had to take the entire thing down.
I needed a way to suspend it while I painted it. Had I laid it down, the support road would have gotten messed up while it was being painted.
The ceiling bracket thingy has two holes that attached the fan to the ceiling. I used a paint bucket handle to fit in these holes.
I hung it on my clothes line. By the way, don’t knock my clothes line, it was a curb find!
I covered up the motor parts with a grocery bag.
I did the same with the light kit.
I painted everything with a coat of primer. (paddle brackets not shown here because I forgot to paint them initially)
After the primer I sprayed it with a silver metallic spray paint.
I painted the paddles with Dutch Boy Refresh (Sweetened White), the same as I used on the cabinets.
I love the new look, even though the kitchen is still not finished and put back together yet.
The globes could certainly stand to be replaced some day soon.
FYI I did not paint the tops of the paddles! My patience and perfection only goes so far! I do take shortcuts when I can.
Gail Wilson is the author and mastermind behind My Repurposed Life. She is obsessed with finding potential in unexpected places and believes that with a little hard work and imagination, any old thing can be made useful again, including herself!
Gail reinvented herself during a midlife crisis and has found purpose again. She hopes you will find new ideas for old things and pick up a few tools along the way.