I re-did a Singer sewing machine table. Although I liked the look, the top didn’t seem worthy or strong enough for this heavy singer treadle base.
Singer Treadle Base Table Makeover
As I was readying for Glendale 2016, I dragged this out of the back of the garage for a little makeover.
Testing a New Table Top
I tested out an option for the top of this Singer treadle base—a desk top I didn’t use when I made the dressing table out of a desk. This is the top of the desk turned with the front to the back.
Here I’m testing it with the front facing forward. After weighing the options, I decided it would be better to be left with a small scrap that is curvy (for a future project) rather than a straight routed piece.
Cut Singer Treadle Base Top to Size
I used the table saw to rip the desk top into a more narrow/useful piece for the Singer sewing machine base. Look for that cut off piece coming in a project in the future. I never throw anything away!
UPDATE: I used the curvy piece to make a Narrow Wall Shelf!
Painting Singer Base with Paint Sprayer
As always I begin my project with the base upside down and the table top’s underneath side. I used my Homeright Finish Max to spray the chalky paint primer on the top and the base.
not shown: I applied 2 light coats of the very flat primer, then switched to Beluga in Satin. To protect the table top, I sealed it with Minwax Polycrylic.
Add Rub-n-Buff Highlights
To give the raised lettering a little color to make it stand out I used rub-n-buff (Patina). If you’ve never used this, it’s so easy! You literally just rub it on anything that you want to highlight. One little tube will last forever, because you only need a tiny bit. It comes in 16 colors!
Singer Treadle Base with New Look
I didn’t attach the top to the base because I knew it would be difficult to carry through the huge crowds at Glendale. It really worked out for the best. Three women carried it off, two with the base and the third one with the table top. I think it will make the perfect sofa or hall table. Cutting the desk top to a more narrow piece really made all the difference for this project.