I’m finally going to show you how I’ve been updating wood trim in my bedroom. Prepare yourself, these are not pretty pictures!
It is amazing how much different a room can look with updated trim/baseboard/window frames, etc. A room will look brighter, cleaner and fresher with just this simple little change!
Here is the dreaded before. Orange shellac windows, 30 year old aluminum mini blinds, ancient cold air return vent, and a lack of baseboard on this side of the room.
Yep, NO baseboard. How fashionable is that!
The other side of the bed. Some baseboard on the right of the cold air vent, and only 1/2 of a piece on the left side of the vent. ???? what’s up with that you ask? I have no idea! This house has been through a lot of renovating, not exactly sure why I have been baseboardless right there.
This spot however, I can tell you why the baseboard is pieced. This is a spot that used to house two closets. One for this master bedroom and one for Jamie’s room. Both closets were removed and new drywall patched in. Replacing the baseboard in this entire room was sort of expensive (about $80) but that is no excuse for having such bad baseboard for SO many years.
There were quite a few holes that needed to be patched on the window frame where over the years many curtain brackets had been installed. I used drywall mud to patch these holes. I wiped all of the window frames down with TSP. It is a cleaner/deglosser.
I painted on two coats of Kilz primer.
I then painted on two coats of semi-gloss.
The new baseboard was pre-primed. I painted on three coats of semi-gloss paint.
This is how I painted the baseboard. OUTSIDE, thankfully! You see two pieces of the baseboard were very long, and when I reached to the far right to get the end of one of the long pieces I accidentally knocked over this paint.
This is one of the registers (floor) and the two cold air return vents. I straightened out the bent corners and spray painted all three of these.
However, when I went to re-install the cold air vents, there was some wall that was chipping off. We’re talking plaster here folks, not drywall. I decided to go to the extra expense of buying two new cold air return vents that were a little wider, to hide the bad plaster.
The floor vent painted up really nice!
Another shot of the cold air return vent after the carpet was cleaned.
Look at this pretty window with the pretty new mini blind! Hindsight, I wish I had gone with the wider blinds, but I’m still happy with the new look.