Do you remember the vintage ironing board I picked up last month? I got it at a church yard sale for $5.00. (My personal limit when I thrift)
I had no idea what I was going to do with it. When I was looking at it, the lady said “do you need an old ironing board”? I told her, that I didn’t need one, but I was going to buy it anyway.
I found an image from Karen @ the graphics fairy. Did you know that you can print oversized images from your own printer? I didn’t, so I googled it. You don’t have to google it, I’ll tell you how to do it.
I opened the picture, and told it to print. When the print menu popped up, I went into the “options” or “settings” menu. From there I chose page layout. I chose Multi-Page– Poster Printing. You can see that I chose 2×2. I also choose to do a print preview BEFORE printing option. For my printer, that is located under the Advanced tab.
Here you can see that it will print out on 4 pieces of paper. After the 4 pieces print, you just trim them a little and tape them together. Easy Peasy! You can thank me later! I love sharing what I learn with you guys!
I taped my four pieces together, then trimmed away all the extra paper. I taped the dress from on the ironing board. I have a very colorful beach towel underneath it because I didn’t want it to scratch my DIY Kitchen Island.
I used a ball point pen to trace the lines which left an impression on the wooden ironing board. I used some black craft paint and a small paint brush to paint the lines on the ironing board.
I was so busy painting, I guess I didn’t take any “in progress” pictures.
This is the step that I may regret. I got another image from Karen @ the Graphics Fairy. I liked the image but I don’t think I did a very good job transferring it and painting it. However, in the spirit of “keeping it real” I show you everything, whether I like it or not.
I laid the ad on the board, and taped of the correct size.
Then I painted it the best matching color I had. I got very busy transferring the image with a ballpoint pen-then painting over those lines, and again, I didn’t take any pictures.
I was not thrilled with the end result. I am not a very good detailed painter.
At this point, I’m liking the dress form, but the advertisement? Not so much.
I thought it was too new looking, so I took some sandpaper to it.
I may or may not be finished with this project. The advertisement does show up better than it does in pictures. I have gotten an enlargement of the original image from the nice people at Staples. I may sand off the image that I painted and decoupage the enlarged ad on it. I’m open to suggestions.
I felt I could go two different ways with this ironing board. I could focus on the laundry room, or a sewing room. I sort of thought in my neck of the woods, a seamstress might go for it before someone would want it for their laundry room. I still need to corral the legs on the back and add some hardware on it in case someone would like to hang it on their wall for art.