DIY Kids Corner Bench (banquette)

red kid corner bench

I had a headboard and foot board in my storage shed for quite a while now. Maybe even a couple of years.  It wasn’t real sturdy, and I knew I couldn’t make a regular bench with the pieces.  I saw a great bench at Running With Scissors and it inspired me to make this cute little corner bench or banquette.

IMG_2428Do you remember all that lumber I got recently?  This board was 12 feet long. I had no place to store it, so I got busy making this bench and cut this monster down to size.

diy corner bench seatI cut it on a 45 degree angle and worked on making some pieces to skirt it out.

DIY Kids Corner Bench (3)Because I knew I was going to be using 4×4 posts, I cut a small block to use as a guide.

pocket-hole-screwsI connected the two pieces of board with pocket hole screws.

DIY Kids Corner Bench (9)The bed pieces had some pegs sticking out of them, so I rested the boards on them to get a “dry fit”.

kids corner benchThat allowed me to measure and cut the legs to size. I marked the placement of the legs on the bottom of the seat.

gorilla-wood-glueI attached the 4×4 posts with pocket hole screws and Gorilla Wood Glue.

DIY Kids Corner Bench It’s looking good, but if you look closely you can see a gap between the seat and the bed.  I filled it in with a 1×4 that I cut to size and screwed into place. (not shown)

diy kids benchHere you can see the 1×4’s in place.

corner benchIn this picture I have attached the front skirt on each side. I used 1×4’s and attached them with pocket hole screws.  You can see the two end pieces laying on the seat, with pocket holes drilled, ready to attach.

paint corner benchAfter all of that, it was ready for some primer.  A piece like this is easy to paint with my HomeRight Finish Max Fine Finish Sprayer.

Red Kids Corner BenchYou can see that I used my red oops paint to paint the bench and a table.

red table and bench kidsI think it’s perfect for a large dining room for the “kids” table.  Great for meals and/or homework.  It would also work great in a play room for arts and crafts!

I made the table from scratch, you can see it in the post DIY Kids Table.

Here are a few updated pictures:

red corner bench table

kid red bench table

gail

See other fun benches below

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Gail Wilson is the hammer and drill behind My Repurposed Life. She is in the process of repurposing her life as she juggles all the responsibilities of running a home and a successful DIY blog. You can always count on Gail to give you the 411 on DIY on a budget.
About gail@myrepurposedlife.com

Comments

Speak Your Mind

1. Cheryl Burse says:

Lady Gail,
    Is it possible for me to get a measurement and cut list of this wonderful project? We just moved and I’ve been holding onto these headboards (albeit my hubby’s consternation) forever…now i’m just itching to get this banquette set made for my lil bits. Please and Thank you in advance.

• gail@myrepurposedlife.net says:

Cheryl,

It’s impossible for me to know the exact dimensions of this piece. It’s gone to a forever home. Your pieces might not be the same size as mine were. Typically kid’s seats are around 12″ off the ground. The seat pieces would depend on the length of your headboards after being connected. :)
      I would love to see pictures of yours after you get it completed.

gail

2. Megan Peterson 4 The Home Depot says:

What a great project! I’ve added a link to one of our pinboards. Check them out at Pinterest.com/Homedepot

3. krista bratcher says:

I absolutely LOVE this! The color too! I would actually love an adult sized for my kitchen. We have lived here over a year and the spot for a table has yet to be filled. This would be PERFECT. Would you make a bigger one the same way? Thanks.

• gail@myrepurposedlife.net says:

Thanks for your comment Krista. Yes I would build a larger one the same way. ;) Have fun, good luck!

gail

4. millieoja says:

That’s awesome love it i wish I could make it good job

5. What a great idea! I have a crib that my baby girl is about to grow out of and already have a twin bed waiting for her. I’m thinking I may do this for her and my 4 year old. Is there a way to make this outdoor friendly? You may have already said, I just didn’t see. Thanks for the great idea!!!

• gail@myrepurposedlife.net says:

Andrea,

I think it’s difficult to make any wood project last a LONG time outdoors. But if you take the proper steps, it will last quite a few years. I would use outdoor paint, possibly oil based. After letting it cure really well, I would use a good outdoor sealant like marine varnish. You will need to make sure you get every nook and cranny sealed to keep out the elements. I would also recommend putting the piece on concrete, not the ground. If you put it in the yard, use some pavers or stepping stones under each leg.

gail

6. What a cool idea! I have taken the liberty of posting this on Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/thelittlegreenpage – an online community to spread eco-awareness. Trust this is fine with you. Thanks!

7. I love this what a cleaver idea. I also love your chalk board table for the kids. I am linking to you and putting it in a post for homemade recipes for kids play. Thanks (Momma’s Fun World)

8. What a great makeover! I love it!!!

9. so so cute – - I really love this!!

10. Where can i order one i want one in white this is to cute my daughter and nieces and neffews would love to use this

11. This is Wonderful!! I am totally inspired!! Thanks for sharing!!

12. Anonymous says:

Thank you! All three of my children were in the same crib and I can’t bring myself to get rid of it. I don’t know if this will work with the style crib I have, but I will definitely have to give it a try. I have saved it all these years and it probably wont meet the “new baby code” if I ever have grandchildren.
    Any suggestions for the old bouncing horse? :)

lpace214@yahoo.com

13. Is this a baby crib ends or side rails? Or is this a single bed with a headboard and footboard? My email is dbs0786@gmail.com. I hope to hear back from you soon! :)

14. WOW…awesome, clean work there. Oh, and props for a Gorilla Glue mention. (Go Gorilla Glue!)

themeaparty

15. Beautiful!

16. creative cool idea repined

17. Oh my goodness…this is the cutest thing ever!! Thanks for stopping by and commenting on our bed frames being the same… I do love my results but I love yours MORE! Now I have to find another bed frame!! This is AWESOME. Pinning it for later!

18. What an amazing idea. I love that you made it a corner unit and the red is fabulous. I am a new Linky follower.

19. What a great idea and a fabulous execution. You are quite the woodworker. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Traci

20. Totally awesome Gail! I know I’m repeating myself, but that’s exactly what the little voice in my head says when I read your posts – totally awesome!

21. Oh My Gosh!! What a super cute kids bench and table!!

22. I love this, totally pinning this!!! Did you use a Kreg Jig for your pocket screws? Seriously can’t get over how creative this is!!! Great job :o)

-Jacque @theDIYvillage.com

23. You are amazing Gail! What a fantastic bench! Love it!
    Barbara @ Chase the Star

24. Now that one cute kid’s bench and table! Great job as usual!

Holly

25. Oh my…that was just the perfect headboard and footboard for this!! The table is just great also!! What an adorable set!!

26. I adore the shape of this bench, just look at those curves! :) Amazing job Gail!

27. That is such a cute little set, Gail. I would never have thought of making a corner bench like that, but it’s perfect for kids.

28. Good Morning Gail! Wow! What a Beautiful bench!!! I must say you never cease to amaze me. I wish I lived closer to you, so i could get hands on lessons on how to build. I have had many tries, and all failures. Love the red color also. Happy Belated Mother’s Day my friend!

29. You never cease to amaze me! What a fabulous project. Love the color too.

30. Gail,
    Very creative use of the head and foot board. Perfect size and the color is lovely.

The table plus banquette is very craftsman/mission style and I love that. Beautiful lines.

Can’t wait for the table post.
    Have a great day.
    Carolyn

31. How adorable is that. What a clever way to use footboards. You are truly amazing. Love it and perfect with the table.

I love that red oops paint… lucky you.

Great job yet again Gail.

Hugs,
    Deb

32. So AHHDORABLE! What an ingenious idea! You constantly amaze me with your creative abilities. Love it! Plus I’m REALLY partial to red, so this is perfect!

33. that is amazing!!!

34. This is SO cute! I want to put it in the corner of my girls’ room!

35. it’s even cuter in person! i love it!

36. This comment has been removed by the author.

37. This is adorable! The red is the perfect color for this super fun project…my grandkids would love it. Great job~

38. looks fabulous! you know i love the red!

39. Hi Gail,

I love the transformation! I’ve seen headboards turned into benches but never an adorable banquette. I love the table too!

Dee

40. That is so adorable! I love how it looks with the red paint too. What a super build.

41. Gail this is the cutest little bench and table ever! Makes me wish my kids were little again. Perfect place for them to do crafts or eat. The red color you chose is perfect too!

LOVE it!
    Susan
    Homeroad

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me! I read and appreciate every word!
Tools