If you’re new here, maybe you don’t know it, but I’m sort of known for my headboard benches. Yep, go ahead and google it, and you’ll find My Repurposed Life. Many people have told me that’s how they’ve found my little corner of the internet.
I always try to take at least one headboard bench to Glendale each Fall. I still have the blue twin headboard bench with storage in my inventory, so this year it looks like I’ll be taking two!
I think this twin bed was given to me by my sister a few years ago. It’s been in my shed ever since. I drug it out over the Summer, but it got hot, and I got distracted. Last week I decided to get started on it.
There are many ways to make headboard benches, typically cutting the foot board in half to make armrests. I decided I wanted to make this one more like one of my favorite benches ever, this blue headboard bench with a lower storage shelf.
That meant I needed to cup up the foot board, so I used my reciprocating saw to do that.
This is actually plan b. My initial piece ended up being too short. I’ll explain that in a minute.
To make the side rails I used some scrap 1x’s—drilling pocket holes with my Kreg Jig. I ripped the 1x to match the size of the cross board and added some Gorilla wood glue for strength.
To attach the legs to the side, I used extra long screws that needed a little soap to help them along the way.
Remember when I said I would explain “plan b”. Initially I cut the lower portion of the foot board to the height of the bottom of the side rails. Realizing I needed to have them taller, I used the top portion of the foot board instead.
This is the dry fit of the seat. I added a very small piece in the back instead of notching out a wider board.
After patching the rail slots, and sanding the posts where I had used the reciprocating saw, it was time to get busy with my Homeright Finish Max.
You can see that I added a middle brace (scrap 2×4) to help support the seat and some lower side rails to hold the bottom shelf.
I used Kreg Jig pocket holes for all of that. Here, you can see where I used the extra long screws to secure the front legs.
I painted the new lower side rails, lightly distressed the bench with an emery board and gave it all a coat of wipe-on poly.
I usually forget to take pictures when I stain. It’s so messy, that I don’t want to pick up the camera. I used Minwax dark walnut on some random 1x’s. I just used what I needed to get the proper depth for the seat and the lower shelf. After the stain dried, I did a little sanding so that the seat and shelf wouldn’t look so “new” since I distressed the bench.
I thought that this bench was totally different than any other I’ve made, but then I noticed it’s similar to the small bench that Homeright gave away at Haven. You can see I have my picket fence coat rack hanging above it.
I think this bench will be great for a mud room or even as an end of the bed bench. I really love the addition of the lower shelves. I don’t know why it took me so many years to add those.
And of course it would work great for the entryway of any home. It will be making it’s way to Glendale next month.
Let’s take a look at some other benches I’ve made: