This is the bed that Cathy and I picked up Free at a yard sale last year.
The Blue and Yellow pieces will be used for future projects. The Black piece was used for
And They Lived Happily Ever After. The Red pieces were used for this bench.
This bed had seen better days. It was unusable as a bed. The side rails were missing and the part where the left side rail (full size) goes was missing. This bed was for a full or a queen set. Cathy and I typically cut larger beds in half to make corner benches.
We do that because when we made a full size into a bench, it was so heavy that she and I could move it from place to place, but we could not lift it into the truck by ourselves. It was too B I G !
You can see where I cut the front legs off with the compound miter saw. We used side rails from another bed for the left and right side and the piece across the front. The flimsy piece in the back was not going to be strong enough to support a seat, so we added a 2×4. I have started filling the pocket holes NOT visible with drywall mud, and the ones that are visible with wood putty.
You can see that we used our new technique of pocket screws using my Kreg Jig Jr
So, it seems we got a little busy and forgot to take in progress pics. You can see that we added the side rail across the front. (we did this with the pocket holes)
Here, you can see that we added a 2×4 for extra support across the middle.
This bench will have scrap pieces of hardwood (laminate?) flooring.
This bench is not yet complete. We have not attached the seat yet. Cathy’s husband was on vacation, and then the heat wave set in. Hopefully we will get this bench and a cute little twin bench finished soon. When this bench is finished, I’ll update this post.
I’ve shown you a lot of benches today, which is your favorite? I have to say that I didn’t like this bench the whole time we were working on it. I didn’t even like it after I got primer on it. I only started liking it after I started painting it black!
The bench is now finished.
I changed my mind about the seat. I decided to go with planks (lengthwise) instead of flooring.
I connected my boards with the Kreg Jig Jr Clamping them so they didn’t shift left to right as I screwed them together.
Because I changed my mind about the layout, I removed the one brace that ran lengthwise and cut it into two braces from front to back. (I used the Kreg Jig Jr for making pocket holes for this step also.
Testing the boards to make sure the notches are right.
I stained the boards with Jacobean, and applied some wipe-on poly over the stain.
I attached the seat with pocket holes from underneath so that no nails or screws are seen.
EDITED TO ADD:
I’ve had some questions about how I attached the seat. I did is similar to this coffee table top. The pocket holes are drilled into the skirt of the bench. You can see more details in my post how to make a coffee table using chair legs and hardwood flooring. Calling it done, almost a year later!