Here are over
40 65 chalkboard project ideas to inspire you to think out of the box.
Today’s Take 2 Tuesday installment is a roundup of everything chalkboard ideas. I love a good repurpose, and making something into a chalkboard is one of my favorite projects. If you love today’s roundup, be sure to check out some other Take 2 Tuesday posts.
Using frames for chalkboard ideas
Picture frames make awesome repurposed chalkboards. If you visit thrift stores, you can get great deals on frames. Why not check your attic or basement to see if yo have frames to turn into chalkboards. Did you know that you can even paint plastic picture frames?
mix your own chalkboard paint (above and below)
DIY framed chalkboard (make your own frame)
Repurposed household items Mirrors
Do you paint mirrors? Personally, I prefer removing mirrors from thrift store items and replacing them with thin plywood. Dresser mirrors make fabulous chalkboards!
Miscellaneous Household Items
What’s the oddest thing you’ve turned into a chalkboard? Using chalkboard paint is so easy. However, if you use chalkboard spray paint, the ideas are endless.
Repurposed Furniture as Chalkboards
How about repurposed beds and cribs? I love using them for all kinds of projects, particularly chalkboard ideas and coat racks.
Chalkboards made from Doors
Have you ever used doors for chalkboards? What about cabinet doors or cupboard doors? Because they already have a routed edge, they make the perfect specimens.
Tables and Desks
Maybe you have old side tables in storage? How about adding a couple of chairs? That makes the easiest makeover ever!
Make your own chalkboard
If you don’t have something to repurpose into a chalkboard, why not make your own? These chalkboard ideas will have you thinking outside the box to make yourself a new chalkboard.
How to decorate chalkboards
So, you’ve made a new chalkboard, now what? Did you know you can use stencils and liquid chalk to decorate your new projects?
Yes, there is this great project where you can use chalk paste to decorate any chalkboard surface or DIY sign.
You might already have a chalkboard that needs refreshing. Have you been considering throwing it out? I hope these chalkboard ideas make you rethink that.
Chalkboard Ideas and Tips
- If you have a large project, I recommend using paint from a can. I use Rustoleum.
- A nice foam brush works best for me.
- Store your foam brush for weeks in a plastic baggie-makes second and third coats go really quick.
- I do three light coats, first coat—side to side, second coat—top to bottom, third coat side to side again.
- A light sanding in between coats will make for nice coverage.
- Allow chalkboard to cure for 2-3 days, then condition your new chalkboard by laying the chalk on it’s side and covering the entire surface with chalk.
- Use a damp cloth to routinely clean your chalkboard surface.
- For small or numerous projects, spray paint is a great option.
- For colored paint, mix your own using one of the recipes below.
- Dampened chalk stick gives a nice crisp look to your writing.
How to make your own chalkboard paint
- 1 cup of latex paint
- 2 TBS of unsanded grout
- water (after mixing paint and grout, add water to get a regular paint consistency)
Mix well, smashing lumps. Use right away or store in a sealed container, using within a few days.
- plaster of paris
This is my favorite way to mix chalk paint and/or chalkboard paint. The plaster of paris is easier to buy and cheaper than the non-sanded grout. I simply make a paste of the plaster of paris and water, then slowly add that to the amount of paint I’ve set aside for a particular project. I find that if you make the paste first, you don’t get a lot of lumps.
Diane from In My Own Style has a great DIY chalk paint comparison in her post Testing 1 2 3 versions of chalk paint. Just leave off the wax step if you plan to use the paint as a chalkboard instead of a chalk painted piece of furniture.
Have fun making some chalkboards!
See More Great Repurposed & Upcycled Ideas Here
- 50 Headboard Bench Ideas
- 25 Repurposed Drawer Ideas
- DIY Planter Ideas for All Skill Levels
- Pet Projects, DIY for Your Fur Babies
- Projects For Children | Repurposed Beds & Cribs
- Kids Organization Ideas Using Repurposed Furniture
- Picture Frame Ideas For Home Decor & More
- Repurposed Furniture Old Dresser Ideas
- Project Ideas for Old Chairs
- Window Projects
- Upcycled Projects & Home Reno Ideas
- Repurposed Table Ideas
- How to Glaze Painted Furniture
- DIY Tray Ideas
- Repurposed Lamps, Chandeliers & More
- Reclaimed Fence Projects
- 35+ Cabinet Door Project Ideas
- Repurposed Shutter Project Ideas